Manifest Destiny
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Into the Lion's Den

Go down

Into the Lion's Den Empty Into the Lion's Den

Post by Regan Black Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:02 pm

The journey to the Court took some time, so much so that Regan was able to sleep for a while, waking refreshed thanks to a gentle nudge from her maid. She was alert and watchful as they passed into the great domed area that was the Court's domain - although with the extent of their meddling, no place on Mars was truly outside their reach. The greedy fingers stretched far and wide, even breaching the relatively safe walls of Elysium.

Still, there was something to be said for greed. The Court was unlike anything Regan had ever seen. In the shadow of Olympus Mons stretched a vast palace, like something out of the antique books Regan's mother had imported from Earth; glittering with windows, surrounded by sumptuous gardens, and heavily guarded. As soon as she set one delicate foot outside of the Rover, Regan could almost smell the peculiar mix of static and silicone that meant some form of technology wasn't far away. It was so dense, it was like being in one of her father's factories, and she took a moment to process what she was seeing.

True to form, and to good taste, a delegation of nobles and their servants - lower ranked, she noted with a critical eye, having memorised all notable figures from the great families of the Court - was waiting for her.

"Lady Black," one of them commented. Regan dismissed him instantly; if the Court wanted to send weak-willed fools to her, then she wasn't going to play their game. They wanted something from her - why else beckon for her now? - and she'd be damned if she let anyone, even her beloved father, make her do something she didn't want to.

"Maria," she said loudly, "accompany these... gentlemen and discover my new quarters." She lifted her eyes to the speaker, her best, haughtiest expression on her face. "Charmed," she said, extending her hand for them to kiss. "Are you here to provide me with a tour, sir?"

"No," a second man said, aware that this conversation wasn't going the way they had envisaged. "In fact-"

"What a pity," Regan said with a disdainful sniff. "Brago, you must accompany me." Her bodyguard nodded, schooled to silence. "I bid you good day, sirs."

She turned on them and, imagining triumphant music, set off for the main body of the Palace.
Regan Black
Regan Black

Back to top Go down

Into the Lion's Den Empty Re: Into the Lion's Den

Post by Regan Black Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:27 pm

As she strode away, aware of the muttered conversation that was taking place behind her, common sense began to catch up with her and Regan realised that stirring up trouble was not the best course of action to take upon arrival. Still, it was too late to change that, and she really did want to see the famous palace of Court. She'd been here several times before, as a child; her memories were vague, if they remained at all, and now she was an adult - more or less - and she wanted to see it through new eyes.

"Incredible," she breathed as she approached. The building shone, positively gleamed in the artificial light. There was so much ostentatious decoration around that her eyes darted this way and that, taking in sculptures, paintings, elaborate carvings...

"It's quite the view, isn't it, Lady Theodora?" Regan stiffened as she heard her first name, only trotted out when her mother was annoyed. She half-turned to see one of the nobles from her welcome group standing close to her, not so close as to break with propriety but close enough to keep a wary eye on her. "I remember the first time I came here. It is an awe-inspiring sight."

"It's alright," she said with an elegant shrug. "Different to Elysium, certainly."

"Indeed." He offered a courtly bow. "I am-"

"James, Viscount Hellas," she said off-handedly. "I'm well aware of who you are, sir." The sideways glance she shot him could have killed. "I wonder if you truly know who I am."

"Theodora Regan Black," he said, off-balance but keeping up admirably. "The first child born on this planet. Your name is taught in history classes, as part of the origin of the Court." Regan blinked; she had known this, of course, but to hear it said by someone outside her domain was a bizarre experience. "Very little else is known," he said in a leading manner. "Your father has kept you locked up tightly these past years."

"Yes." Regan offered a cold smile. "For whose sake?"

Again, the viscount didn't know how to respond. He settled for offering another bow.

"Would the lady prefer a tour of the Court?" He asked this half to Regan, and half to Brago, who was hovering in his usual surly manner. Regan placed her small hand on Brago's arm and he relaxed immediately.

"Certainly." James offered his arm and she debated before accepting it, keeping her touch light and a respectable distance between them. "I look forward to learning all that you have to teach about this wonderful building."
Regan Black
Regan Black

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum